Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under Shattered Skies Refrain

Toejam
    Toejam

Under Shattered Skies Refrain Empty Under Shattered Skies Refrain

Post  Toejam Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:45 am

I started the project(finally) and I have to say it's coming along steadily. I'll post what I've got thus far.

Pages 1-12:

Well, I have to admit starting out this one was difficult, to say the least, but not as difficult as Innocent was. I wasn't exactly sure where to begin so I just went with a perspective-free solution. I decided to bring back Warlord Carmen, now with an actual you know, physical being and a personality to match how Virgil described her in Innocent, along with Alessa's teacher Meryl and Reina's parent now with a name! Along with those three are Reina and co. pre-Innocent. Though they're still only supporting characters, this time around they'll have a bit more presence and each will have a bit of their own story within the first act, which is essentially before the time skip. As you'd expect, there's a lot of ridiculous scenarios that accompany those guys, and Samson is usually caught up in the pace of it one way or another. Through this, I've been able to develop and solidify his character a bit more. With this, the change from his usual happy-go-lucky to his more dejected sense of self post-time skip will be a bit more natural. He's grown a lot more as have the other characters around him, and I think it's gone well so far. Again, it's not fantastic but there's always room for improvements.
    I've carried over the idea of artifacts from the main story, and made the Mino Gemstone one of those as you can see. Foreshadowing. Oh yes Wink. Though everyone who's read it will know already. Moving along, I've brought back the initial opening in Julius and Rosetta's perspective, and changed the way they speak slightly. Julius is more easygoing when relaxed, and you'll see how he changes when tense. Rosetta has a more formal way of speaking, but that's because she's not very well-versed in the Cerebian language; she often switches between a casual and more formal way of speaking. I'm considering having her do it just because she prefers it that way. Looking back, Julius also has that way of speaking also, but less so than his wife. After thinking about it, it might make a bit more sense. Julius had spent most of his time training under his father to be the next God's Governor, so he didn't have the freedom that Samson did, and spent most of his time communicating with him alone. He'd likely inherit the way he speaks from him, like Reina, and pass that on to Rosetta after she becomes his pledger and a Confidant. Samson on the other hand would've seen more of the world and picked up different slang, and inherited a more casual way of talking.
    I have to admit, a big concern of mine is how Samson often worries about when he'd return. It feels as if I was foreshadowing to the fall of Xenym, when the intention was a bit more...simple. In a sense. The fall of Xenym feels more obvious, but the idea was that he really doesn't know when he would come back after his adventure. I might change the dialogue later, but I hope I can get the message across. Then again, I guess it could run both ways, even if it's unintentional.
    Lastly, and this is a bit of a spoiler, but I do plan to do the other side of the war this time around. Innocent was focused on Reina and her escape during it. This will focus on Virgil, Alessa, their teachers and Rosetta and Julius while the war happens. The scene will end after Julius and Rosetta...you know. Then from there on the story will continue from where Samson returns and follow USS from there, as I make changes along the way. Except this time, just as with earlier portions the perspective switch will be marked. Borrowed the idea from GoT and a novel I started called A Tale for the time being. Great book, I recommend it.
    So yeah. USS is getting the Frequency treatment. It'll take a while but it'll definitely be good. The original will remain alongside the 2014 version, but the original will lose the songs. I've said my peace. Until next time.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Under Shattered Skies Refrain Empty Re: Under Shattered Skies Refrain

Post  Toejam Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Pages 12-21:
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Pages 21-28:

Big update this time around. Decided to knock off both at once and do a post about them. Truth be told, I felt a bit unsure about showing the war in USS because it didn't really fit the setting or the idea of the original, but I feel like it added the impact and really emphasizes both Kasumi and Samson's side of the story. Though I am fond of the original, I had these scenes(Reina and co. were not originally part of it but are now) planned out for Sanc. Problem was, it would have to be a flashback that wouldn't exactly fit, since it would be Julius and Rosetta's memory, and not Kasumi's. Moving on, I've included both before and after the arrival of the God's Governor, and added a bit more character to the civilians of Xenym while switching perspectives between each character duo. I'd thought about separating them into single categories for each person, but since it would often switch between one or the other, like with A&V it seemed a tad unnecessary. Think I might keep it this way, but I won't do it for Kasumi and Samson, since their scenes will overlap at times and others split apart, also moving in different portions of the timeline. Speaking of, I actually have a timeline! It doesn't really include the possible futures yet, but it does have the main plot points from before and after Frequency. It's kinda spoilery though, might post it later and my original fail with USSR.
    Still, I've gotta admit, writing scenes with hundreds of soldiers is hard as all hell. I didn't wanna draw out the fights between them, but at the same time I didn't want them to feel so half-assed you know? I mean in the heat of battle people die left and right but it seemed weird to me. Too many non-humans in my novels lol. Definitely something I need to work on. I'd given the use of skills a lot of thought for the Xenym militia, but it didn't really suit the style of battle. Essentially some would use them, and others wouldn't know how so they don't, but others would choose not to because they've no intention of actually killing their targets. I tried to show that a bit through a small comparison between the TKs and the WLs, though it's kinda subtle. Bit of a mixed bag huh?
    Though I think the real kicker for this portion was Rosetta and Julius' fight. After I wrote it I had a feeling that Julius didn't really do enough, but it felt right that he didn't go all out because he'd destroy all of Xenym with his power, so he left it in Rosetta's hands. With those two they merged their style with a bit of a certain someone's
    Spoilersss:
    to giver her fighting style a bit more power. On that note, it's something I'm kinda proud of. After watching so much Avatar I felt inspired again to keep the elements to their respective concepts, and here again I tried to do that as I had with some of Kasumi's battles. Each spell Rosetta utilizes is more defensive than offensive, but still having enough impact to bring down her enemies. Took a bit of inspiration from the original USS too, though using one of the spells Kasumi had then would've made a really good homage. Regardless, you might be seeing things like that later on too! If I ever get around to finishing off Sanc.
    Hopefully things should get easier since i can return to the storyboards and follow the original's ideas, once again with new stuff. Once that's done I'll give Innocent another whirl. I'll keep you updated as things progress! And I'll uhh...consider that offer.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Pages 28-35:

This is the first part I finished a while ago but I hadn't posted. Brought back an old scene from USS but fixed it up a bit, and finally got to tie things in with Innocent so now things go both ways.
    Innocent Spoiler:
    Been working a lot on tying together the characters, that is, the old and new ones. The beginning set that up really well for me, so doing this part wasn't too hard. On my second run-through to revise I might make the convo between Salem and Sam a bit more awkward, or at the very least increase Sam's one-sided apprehension for him. On another note, I think Samson grew a little as a character! I tried to shift his personality a bit to be a bit more grim, without it being too extreme since it'd been years since the attack. I'm gonna try and build on that and slowly reverse the effect as he gets to know Kasumi throughout USSR. In the original the change was too..sudden? Slight? Dunno, but it could be improved. Gotta admit, writing this scene was a tad difficult since it was new, but I think it fits nicely. It makes sense that Samson found his way to Hanamah now. I realize I forgot the basket when I wrote Kasumi's PoV. Dang it.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Pages 35-45:

This one saw a lot of changes too. I added a few new scenes and I reworked the dialogue a little bit to give Kasumi more of a childish air to her and a bit of a sibling relationship between her and Bane. He now talks! Technically. Well he always did but now he just does it more. Sometimes. He's just kinda weird...and a wolf. I think the big change here is now it follows Kasumi's perspective. At times it'll switch between using names and terms of endearment I guess? Or titles? If you see that it just means its her thoughts specifically. Trying to refrain from using the italicized thoughts for only those moments where I really need it, rather than relying on it to convey all of her thoughts. Kept a lot of the old stuff with a lot of new additions. I removed the songs since they aren't in the public environment or something like that? In other words it was pretty much illegal to use them like that so I'm thinking of keeping it without them, though I do prefer it a little bit.
    Sanc spoilers?:
    One of the big changes I think would probably be me actually using Kasumi's name/nickname. Figured since it was from her perspective now, it wouldn't make any sense not to use it during her PoVs, but I'll try to keep it as is for Samson's, since he doesn't know it. I kept Beatrice and Grant's dialogue the same though, since using nicknames and other things just seemed like the kind of thing they'd do with their child. It felt right.
    I guess small details like Yuta's mom's name, (I plan on changing that) will see some changes later. I realized that Yuta himself was born in Aoich, but I remembered those are his foster parents. Remembered the call out from Su during their fight in Freq. I might need to glance over her thoughts on Agasura again. Essentially she would know about them, but what she saw in the Forest she'd consider closer to being animals rather than Agasuras. Idk how I feel about her doubting them, but I don't think it suits her to be apprehensive about something she hasn't seen for herself. Gotta admit though, I feel pretty good about the tie in with Lady Amae here.
    USSR Spoilers:
    Also for the first time you get to see someone else experience the Sound of Frequency! How? Why? That's a big ol' secret. Julius knows something. Those tricky God's Governors. That's all I've got for now. Hope you like the updated version so far! There's still a lot of improvements to come.

Though imagine if Amata had become the main heroine. That'd certainly be something lol.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:02 am

Pages 45-52:

Tried something a little different this time; through Samson's dream we took a peek into his past, so this actually did happen at one point, leaving aside the end of the dream. The fight actually spanned across a fair bit of Asgard, so leaving aside where TJ and co. fought there were a lot of other places where the Cerebians engaged the invaders. I'm still debating on when I'll get back to it, but I don't think it'll be a main focus in Sanc, so there won't likely be any chapters dedicated to it or anything. If it was to be something, it'd likely be a part of another oneshot from someone else's perspective. Also I used leapt one too many times. Looks weird.
    Back to the main story, I kept it tied closely to the first, but I tried fixing things up a little. I've been working to round out Kasumi a little so she'd seem a little more her age and likewise with Samson. Though he's a bit more mature now, he has a lot of weaknesses that are exploited by Beatrice. She's really sharp when she chooses to be, and her tongue just as much lol. When I reread it the first time I felt that she was being a bit overbearing for someone she met for the first time, but after recalling what had happened to her and Grant, it felt rather fitting for her to be so defensive on the matter. I might change the dialogue just a little bit when I redo it since the part where she gets angry is a little rough, but all in all I think it's alright.
    Both Samson and Beatrice got a little bit of backstory here too! As things progress I'm definitely gonna work on giving Bea and Grant a bit more to their characters, since...well you know what happens to them lol. This is their time to shine, after all. Though the focus will remain on Sam and Su, so I have a few scenes in mind to develop the two as a pair throughout USSR prior to the end. It'll be a couple events within the timeframe of his arrival and departure, and there'll be some characters introduced that weren't in the original to tie up all those loose ends. Amata was mentioned in Freq but the reason why she was there and her relationship with Yu was never expanded upon, and how Yu got his powers also. This time around I plan on covering both, and why Su and Amata have such a bad rapport.
    One thing I've thought a lot about is how the characters often explaining things. Those who have read it before, would know all the terms and whatnot so it might be kinda redundant, but those who are new to the series wouldn't. Then again, it could be a good refresher. I'd considered changing it, but I'd like to keep it. USS was originally meant to be a oneshot, but now that it's the first of a trilogy having to explain it here would be better for setting up the following stories.
    I've kept some of the old scenes too, and added a bit of dialogue to them and small events. Gotta admit, my biggest weakness was always working on the flow of things. I vaguely remember saying something like that in the past, I think when we first started trying to fix up Frequency. After we did came the day and night cycles, the points where the party would stop to rest and the changing of seasons. I'm working on smaller things now, like moving from one scene to the next or swapping places throughout the village/forest. I don't want things to feel too...janky. My biggest fear right now is the timeskip during Samson's working days, but if I stopped to focus too much on those it'd feel like the story is just filler. There might be a bit of that time frame, but only for the sake of developing him and Su. Likely no more than brief moments throughout.
    I think the biggest change is the PoVs for both characters; the two are like night and day. Su's PoV often consists of what she's doing, where she's going and how she gets there. There's a lot going on in them, and typically more dialogue throughout. Samson's on the other hand is more pensive, less time passes during his but his thoughts explore his story a bit more thoroughly and give shape to his search for Kasumi. The two compliment each other very well; both as characters and in the thematic sense. When I think of the two and how they came together, the phrase "Love is a panacea" comes to mind, and though at times I'm hard-pressed to believe it myself, sometimes I really feel that it could be true, and in this case it seems very fitting. As things go along these two are really growing on me. Knowing how it ends is a little heart-wrenching though, but despite the fact I could change it, I want to keep it as is, since it is for the best after all.
    God if I could I'd ship it to kingdom come, but for various reasons I can't.
    Anyway, enough tooting my horn. I'll try and make my updates a bit more regular. Maybe Mondays and Fridays or something? With all that's going on it can be a tad iffy but I'll stick to it as best I can. With that said, until next time.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Pages 52-56:

This time around I tried working with the other villagers a bit more. Here we have the introduction of Cruz the fisherman, likely a one-off character but one that might pop up every now and then throughout USSR, and perhaps later on when I come back around to complete the Hanamah arc. I've held myself to it and tried expanding on the side characters a bit, as you could see through both Kasumi and Samson's PoVs, so now rather than just voices that are likely part of a mob, they're actual people lol. I don't think they'll hold as much of a position like the supporting cast(Ex. Tetty or Tamori) but they'll still be around. As for Cruz himself, when I created him I did it with the thought of him being an easygoing guy who would likely be from the less populated regions of Asgard. In other words, a bumpkin! Nah that's just insulting. I'd given it some thought, and since most of the villagers of Hanamah are refugees from Xenym, I'd considered introducing a few people that had been there since before the invasion and their reason for doing so. Since not all Cerebians had been on Asgard when the war broke out, as most characters had mentioned prior, I figured it was a good chance to have one of them.
    Oddly enough I was having mixed feelings about the looks of the characters lately. I had spent a lot of time thinking about having characters of different body shapes and whatnot, but leaving aside the characters that were designed by the LT team, most of the characters I created or borrowed from players are adventurers. In that sense, most of them would either be muscular or at the very least lean. Realistically, if you spend most of your life running across a continent and hauling weapons and other consumables around, if you're not fit you wouldn't survive. At the very least, I'd like to continue on working with the idea of characters varying in height. I've also been working a bit on the age differences, showing how time has affected some characters and what they would look like as the years pass. Samson was the perfect example of that, and though it could be a bit more expanded upon with the others, soon! Very, very soon hopefully. Also Saul is like the human version of Bane for Kasumi (lol).
    Little bit of development for Samson here, and Kasumi is there too. As time goes on I'm working on expressing his theme a bit more thoroughly, and hopefully well. I feel that he's grown slightly, and I have some good ideas for what's to come.
    The big kicker for this update is the first appearance of Iris and her party. With this, the proof that the story came full circle came true. Maybe not the entire thing, but for the Hanamah survivors it has. In chapter nineteen he had mentioned that he met her, so this is gonna tell how it happened, and as things progress I'll likely build on his relationship with Amata also. It'd be of lesser importance, but there'll definitely be something. Gotta admit though, for this part there was a lot of backtracking and searching I needed to do to make sure I had all the details right. I glanced through some of the old chapters to see what clues were left, and I managed to piece everything together again. I'm confident about this. My biggest worry though, is that I don't know if LT has the actual story behind what happened to the Derr clan or if it hasn't reached that point yet. I assume it would be end game content, and I DO want to find out, but at the same time I feel that if I play it again something will be lost along the way. After all, things have changed between season 1 and 2, and I want to keep things as is. I always did consider the fact that the story would have to stray away from LT's eventually, and essentially this was that point. Everything after Iris left for the Bifrost was where i knew things would distort, so I'd figure things out one way or another. Thankfully, I'd planned for it. Anyway, hope you're excited 'cause now it's time to hear Iris' side of the story and how Iris' party got split up prior to their arrival in Atlantis.
    See ya on Monday.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Pages 56-65:

This, was one of the most challenging portions I've had to write yet. Whole lot of backtracking and all sorts of other stuff. Writing Iris was super weird. I mean the only thing we know about her is the usual snippets of her we get in the Iris Stones so I tried to build on her a little here, and give her a few unique traits that could be found at a glance. She always seemed to be the type who was stalwart but honest to a fault to me, so I tried to work with that and shape her personality around it a bit. As for the others well they were a little iffy, but I tried to make them feel strong in their own ways too except for Muwen. I don't like him, but I honestly think he would be alike to the way I wrote him from what I'd seen of him. He probably could've said more, but to me it didn't feel like he'd be the type to get along well with the Cerebians. Or maybe a bunch of strangers in general. Regardless, there was a looooot of info on a lot of different things here, but it kinda fills in the gap for TJ's story between the end of the Asgardian War and his awakening in Frequency. A lot of readers would probably wonder where he disappeared to for twenty years or so. I always feel weird when I think the whole timeline spans 25 years but the main stories span two following it. On the bright side, there's a lot to be told which leaves a lot of room for other characters and for the world to be developed.
    Samson had a lot of questions to ask but didn't. This decision was one of the hardest things to do. At a glance, it does seem like most of this was just blatant exposition, and I have to admit it does frustrate me a little, but I tried to write it in such a way that it didn't feel as if it was just for clarification on the reader's part. While the town hears what Iris has to say, they aren't as well versed on certain matters as he would be, hence why he speculates on most of the things she says and tries to piece everything together. At the same time, I feel that in that regard carefully choosing what the characters knew and didn't know really helped to ease that burden of knowledge. It's not so much an info dump as it is Samson trying to understand what he was told. As for Iris and her tome, I had named it "Prophet of the Empire". I won't say why though! But I did give it some thought and might expand on it further later on, though it might not crop up. Though with this the proof is in the pudding that Iris was TJ's other companion and that she once held a piece of the crystal, as did Choen Palm. What did she do with it? Who knows? The conversation was so misleading because Iris had too many girls in her party that not even Samson was able to make sense of it. I have to admit, I do feel a little guilty for throwing in the TJ gender-theory but it is a major(?) part of his character. When I redid Frequency from the beginning it was hinted at that he was kinda androgynous, and here it's mentioned again, but I didn't want him to be too big a focus throughout USSR so I try not to name drop too often. Though the matter is something that will appear now and again. Still, I do find the idea that he's like a gender-swapping Nick Fury just a little amusing.
    Moving on, I actually did the scene where Kasumi fights with the boys before she went off with Sam. It was hard as balls, and extremely awkward because I can't write children for the life of me. I'll probably have to revisit that and give them a new insult or two, but all in all I think it's decent at the very least, for a first timer. Writing Kasumi alone was difficult, but writing five others was hell. Thankfully it was short, but I'll likely have them pop up now and again. I'm still working on giving Kasumi's PoV that unique style that it needs, leaving aside the way she speaks because I don't feel it does it enough justice, but I think I'm getting a little closer. Hopefully by the end I'll have it down pat. My main focus for now is easing her into her current personality. The change won't be completed in USSR since well, you know. It ends with some time to spare before everything goes wrong. That, and Frequency is quite a few years after, so there'd be slight changes during USSR but not likely the major differences right off the bat. I'll be the first to admit it, some of the boys are kinda cliche. Maybe the whole clique is, especially Doug, but I did that intentionally. I wanted to get that spirit of some village in the middle of nowhere with the villagers to match, and some of those guys just fit so perfectly I had to do it.
    Gotta admit, writing Kasmi get beat up was extra awkward for me, but that is how it was initially so it hadn't changed. In spite of the fact, as Samson had said she was pretty impressive for taking on that many boys. She's strong without her magic, it just needs to be honed. Sam is a bad uncle. Though I admit, a little bit of Sam/Kas fluff is refreshing after so much drama and serious stuff.
    Little late but there's a lot to see. There's still a few more major events, including a couple new ones but we're nearing the end! I hope you enjoyed it thus far. If all goes well I'll be back with more on Friday and after this finishes hopefully we'll see a finished act 1 for Innocent.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Pages 65-68:

Bit of a short update this time around. Kinda lost my edge closer to the end so I called it a day there. Hopefully come Monday I'll have finished most of if not all of the Harvest Festival. This time around was just mainly a short between Mel and Sam. These two make for a strange pair. Opposites attract I guess? She's a little eccentric, but it's nothing out of Sam's league. I actually googled the process for harvesting pumpkins for this part too. Knowledge is power. Or maybe I'm just a perfectionist idk yet. At times, I guess.
    I've been considering merging Sam and Su's PoVs for the festival, since it'll be following both of them around for the entirety of it, but I still have mixed feelings about it. I wouldn't likely be swapping between the two frequently, since it would just be misleading. If I was to swap, it'd likely be for the differing days. Otherwise there'd be little point to doing it, since the time frames would be so short. For now I'll keep it as is. Also for the first time you get to see Su in a dress! I'd always thought about it, but I realized that there's no way in hell she would willingly get in one so this seemed to be the most fitting way for it. Gotta admit, one of my favourite things about these two is how Kasumi can always surprise him in one way or another. Everything he thought he knew about Bane is flipped on its head when he's sworn to her, and he's got his hands full handling her also. But in that, is where there development lies. She'll be the toughest person for him to understand, but when he finally gets there well...he'll have his answer. You know how the story ends but I want it to have a bit more emotional impact. That is, if my talent allows for it. Worth a shot I think.

Anyway, I'll be back tomorrow or something to clarify on my point from before, in regards to the game and the story and their disconnect. I don't have enough caffeine in my system to do it tonight. Now then, I seem to have misplaced my chapstick when I got home so I'm gonna go out in the pouring rain to find it. I just bought it yesterday too. Unreal.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Pages 68-70:

Not much to read here and even less to say. Sorry if I come off as...edgy. Been a bit of a long day, but I've been really on and off with things so I'm gonna try and get back on track. There'll be a loooot of stuff in the next post.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 pm

There might be spoilers. I'll try and tag em if I notice them. Some might be on purpose, and some might be rather misplaced so read at your own risk. I'll make sure to tag them separately from the rest, so you'll know what is and what isn't. Fair warning, this'll probably be long and smarmy, so you best prepare yourself. With that said, let's begin.
    About USSR:

Nevertheless, leaving aside all the character and story themes aside, there was a reason for the novel and to this day I hope that I can carry it over while giving USS a new coat of paint. I'm sure a lot has changed since then, and if it has then that genuinely makes me pretty happy. In fact, I really believe it has, from my little knowledge. What comes next? I'll be damned if I know but what I can say for sure is we can learn a lot from the past. I certainly have. I just haven't acted on it for...reasons. On certain things, mind! I do take my writing and criticisms very seriously. Little too much, really. My goodness. Anyway maybe next time I come around you can hear me rant about how I'm gonna fix up the combat in all the series? Though that's in the soon(TM) field.
    Now I'm gonna stop being a pretentious dick and show myself out.

Did this sound condescending? Like a lot? I feel that it did and it bugs the crap out of me. Honestly, it's not meant to. That's just the way things sound when I pick my own brain apart. Honest! It's basically that but...in written form. Proooooobably one of the reasons I don't go into the nitty gritty often. Anyway yeah. That's about all I had to say for now lol.

Last edited by TJ on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sounded condescending. Like seriously.)
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Pages 70-72:

There was supposed to be more but I wound up bedridden with a cold. Still am kinda sick so the updates will be slow for the next week, but once I'm back in order hopefully I'll be able to improve on the amount of content there is. Might not be anything on Monday tbh since things'll be a bit busy around here, but I'll try and keep you posted regardless. Maybe I'll discuss something in place of it.
    Nevertheless, with these pages we finally begin the event. Didn't go too into detail with the whole fishing thing because well...doesn't really contribute much to the story, even if it does feel rather rushed. I'm still considering when I'll swap perspectives for the characters, so it won't likely be per event, or uniform at all for that matter. I'm probably just being fickle about it but we'll see how it goes. I'll likely decide depending on how fitting the scene would seem for the character, and who would benefit more from sharing their side of it. That aside, Kasumi's a great kid, just a strange one lol. Though Bane could have and likely did teach her about hugging, she likely just chose to lick people just 'cause he did it. Like wolf familiar like master? I've considered whether she would do it to him or not...I mean, I don't think either of them want his fur on their tongues. Only one of them has hands though, so you know how it goes lol.
    The scene this time around was a bit slow, but I felt that it fit Samson's side of things, and will be the catalyst for what urges her to wonder who Julius and Rosetta are during USSR and much later on. It won't likely come up often until her arc, but it'll definitely be a major part of it. Hopefully this scene doesn't undermine the following too much. Considering what had occurred, I think it'll flow better since they would be closer, and she'd be more willing to speak with him frankly since he had done the same at her request.

Also you know, I was thinking of making one of the first place prizes a Brownie, because I mean, who doesn't love Brownies? I'd thought about utilizing that to make a joke about Vanir and Skuld but that's happened already and those two had their share of being in the spotlight already. Since they're supporting cast in Innocent I don't want them to bleed too much into this one, and vice versa. Though Samson is a main character here...for reasons. I shouldn't be allowed to write this lol. Still, let's get right to it shall we? Next post I'll talk a bit about the combat changes to come based around Su and her contractor.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:49 pm

So you've been with me long enough to see how everything's evolved time and again, in some desperate attempt to make a coherent battle system throughout the story. The next step is gonna be a big one, because it's gonna be solidifying a lot of characters into varying roles, depending on their weapons, their teachings, and in a sense their teachers. Leaving aside those who are self-taught.
    I'd given the fact that some characters would naturally outshine others due to their inherent talent(Ex. The God's Governors, TJ, Peorth, Iris or Choen Palm), and in this felt like the others would just kinda fall flat if any of those guys were in the same battle as they were. Most of the time, this held true. On the other hand, the difference was both intentional and necessary, like the first fight at Kimara between TJ and Trini. As things further and the cast expands I want to showcase the abilities of those who had risen to a heroic status despite not being born of a legendary status lineage or being born with powers beyond that of the ordinary Cerebian(I'd say Human but there aren't too many who actually fight). Samson and Reina are gonna be two perfect examples of that, and I'll spoil a little bit of Samson's here since I'll be talking about Kasumi, but I won't tell you how Reina fights just yet! It's gonna be pretty cool though lol. You'll find out about that if I ever finish USSR. Now, let's get right to it.

I'll be addressing Kasumi and the changes you'll see in USSR, which will follow into Sanc so expect some pretty big spoilers. TJ's gonna be way worse though lol.
    Come on and slam:

Take this all with a grain of salt okay? Still tossing ideas around a bit so it could be fixed up a bit later on. Something I forgot to include is that both will be able to use Light spells so long as they're not utilizing the Chaos Frequency, they just won't have as much variety without Order. So basically, the norm isn't all bad! You can have it all. Now let's move on to TJ shall we?

And welcome to the jam:

And that's that for those two. As the main characters they're seeing the biggest changes, and hopefully they work as the story evolves. Don't know what I'll come around for next time, but hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to see. Might not be back Monday, but expect something come Friday. Until then!
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Pages 72-80:

Might just narrow updates down to Fridays since trying to cram in as much time as I can from Friday-Monday is insanely hard. And my writing seems to be strangely...conditional? I'd go into the details but it's all kinda weird so I'll spare you that lol. This way at least the updates are a little less short and sporadic cause of how slow I am. I might come around a little later to give you my two cents on this update or talk about something else story related, but until then enjoy!
    Think I ate too much candy tbh. Got a really bad stomachache.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:04 pm

In spite of what I said Saturday I did some thinking and decided maybe it was high time I addressed Innocent and its...like 40% completion. So! What happened? Well time to pick my brain apart and hopefully articulate my thoughts.
    So more or less, after a lot of reflection and speculation, I kinda discovered a pattern I think. I guess taking a step back, it starts with me. I always say that my writing methods are strange, and that hasn't changed at all. Essentially if my emotional state wasn't so closely tied with my work writing would be easy! I can't function like that though lol. Makes me wonder how others in the varying forms of media do it. But that's not important. In essence, me doing that isn't exactly all bad-I mean, the way I write allows me to really place myself in the character's mindset, and in doing so I feel that I can make them feel a little more real. It's not perfect, but I'll toot my horn a bit here and say it's not bad. Now here's where the problem comes in:
    Something goes wrong. Something always goes wrong. And when it does? I snap. I don't usually go berserk. Maybe I do, I can't say for sure, but something in me just breaks. And then after that well...it's like the talent or the motivation I had for writing the story goes with it. Something is lost in the before and after and following it, I fail to be able to write with the fervor I once had. When I look back, my mind is blank. Innocent wasn't the first of my works in which that happened, and I fear that it won't be the last. Can it be fixed? I can't say for sure.
    In truth I don't know when it happened, or why, but something in 2013 had done me in. Some of my memories are a little hazy, and that could be for better or worse. There was a lot of highs and lows from the end to the start of the new year, and the end result wasn't good. In spite of what I say, hold to whatever optimism you can grasp. Becoming pessimistic or cynical is...certainly easy, but not rewarding in the slightest. I've fallen somewhere within that league and feel rather complacent. It's bad, trust me.
    So, as for the future of the series? Hell if I know. In truth, I want to finish Innocent, I do. My main goal is to finish USSR and see where life takes me from there, for better or worse. As I write it I do miss it's successor a little bit more everyday, and in doing so I think about it but...well I don't wanna guarantee anything quite yet cause anything could change at the drop of a hat, including how I feel about it. Whether I even could rekindle that passion I once had for it is questionable at best. I feel the coming few months will change everything again, and the following weeks could make me or break me all over again. Am I ready for it? Not at all. I just hope this sense of foreboding is nothing more than my imagination playing tricks on me, but if not, on the bright side I can certainly say that I saw it coming!
    So with that said, I'm gonna sit here and try to go on with USSR. Maybe I've just got a rush from the cake I ate but I think I can manage it. Hopefully by Friday I can actually wrap up the Festival arc and get back top the main plot! Though of course, there are reasons for that arc too. Might talk a bit more about it another time. With that said, until next time.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Pages 80-82:

There was supposed to be more but I got a little sidetracked. I'll be back with details later!
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:46 am

Page 82-89:

I was close. Really close. But soon!
    On another note, I'll be away from Sunday to Sunday so there won't be any updates this week. Hopefully come next next Friday I'll be able to jump right back into it and have something to show after. And that I remember exactly what I wanted to say about this update. With hat said, until then!
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I think you should know that some of the stuff that happens here actually happens during Reina's story, so yeah, it can be a little bit spoilery. She is mentioned once in a while and whatever antics she's up to, so you know what you're in for. On the bright side, it's not that much different from the main story. I mean, it told what happened after USS so nothing new there huh? But anyway enjoy!
    Page 89-98:

I managed most of this through the power of donuts. Donuts are love. Donuts are life.
    Gonna spoiler tag this whole thing just in case, since it references some of the ideas I had mentioned before.
    Spoilers Within:
    I could go on about ships but that is probably inappropriate for me lol. Anyway, with this update we're finally ushering in the final arc, the Arrival of God's Governor of Fire. It was no surprise she was coming but it's here! I'm gonna intertwine her story into the final arc of USS, so we're finally gonna technically get back on track. I don't think it'll take long for me to reach the ending, but when you have two God's Governors in the same place you know something's gonna happen lol. Hopefully while doing this, I can give those characters the final steps towards their growth that they need.
    Just in case though, I don't think Amata will see as much growth as the others because of her late arrival, but her arc isn't meant to be covered here, so we'll see some of her story but not as much change as the others have seen. Anyway, until next time.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Page 98-102:

I might have something to say later! Be back then.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Pages 102-110:

Sorry it's a day late! Wanted to finish off the scene before I finished it. Took me quite a while to get through all this but here it is! Tomorrow I'll probably be back to talk a bit about it, since a ton of stuff happens, but until then I'm gonna chill lol. I'm done for the day.
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Pages 110-115:

It was too long the first time so I had to break it up.

Rant Time:
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Page 115-124:
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Page 124-131:

USSR End Rant:

Epilogue Spoilers? Probs:

Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Pages 131-139:

Happy cafe fun time:
    Toejam
    Toejam

Post  Toejam Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:36 am

Pages 139-145:

The following will be...kinda story related. Mostly personal, for various reasons, so I hope you don't mind it too much. I'll talk a lot about the themes of both Inno and USSR so expect giant spoilers on those.
    Frequency, Innocent and I:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:31 am